CARAMEL POT DE CREME
Recipe courtesy G. Garvin
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
4 cups whipping cream
2 cups milk
12 egg yolks
Sweetened whipped cream or frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. In a large saucepan combine the sugar ad water. Mix with a spoon just to make sure there are no pockets of dry sugar. Bring to boiling over high heat. reduce heat and, without stirring, continue cooking until mixture reaches the desired caramel color.
2. Remove from heat and carefully whisk in 1 cup of the cream. Gradually stir in remaining 3 cups cream and the milk. Return to medium heat and cook, stirring, to smooth out any sugar lumps.
3. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
4. In a large bowl whisk the yolks. Whisk about a cup of the caramel mixture into the yolks. Slowly whisk in the remaining caramel mixture. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve.
5. Pour mixture into six 8-ounce ramekins and place in a large baking dish or roasting pan. Add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover ramekins with foil. Bake about 1 hour or until the center jiggles only slightly when you tap the side of the pan. Remove from the oven and let stand in the hot water for another 5 minutes.
6. Remove ramekins from the baking dish and chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before serving. Top with sweetened whipped cream and serve.